Thursday, 17 November 2011

Getting ready ....

Needing to create in whatever spare moment becomes available (to retain my sanity), I accepted an invitation earlier this year to participate in a new art and craft exhibition being staged within our Cotswold village. And now it is upon us - not just an exhition but a sale of work also, which I was not anticipating. I am focussing on mixed-media work: map trails, fabric books, illustrated journals and the like: textiles, paper and words. Mortified today when I came to assemble some more of my painted paper-bag pocket-pages, to sell as 'note-keepers', and I could not recall how to make them. Memory is not what it once was! I dismembered a previous one to discover what I did, and having done so, made sure I had notes and sketches to make them again. Recording is as important for me as the actual making, which is perhaps why I have to have deadlines to complete anything, and why I spend so much time planning and not executing.

'pocket pages' - made from recycled paper bags
And this is the first time I've tried blogging from my new iPad (nerve-wracking), so I will close, but hope you will join me in spirit next Saturday (26th), and if you are local to here, or prepared to travel, do please join us - and say 'hello'. A good luncheon can evidently be obtained at The Norman Knight, opposite the Village Green, and Whichford Pottery is well-worth visiting. We're raising money to restore the windows in the Church; there is stained glass dating back to medieval times, and the village itself existed long before the de Mohuns were granted land here by William the Conqueror in 1086.

P.S. I had to finish this on the office Mac - have not yet learned all the intricacies of my iPad. And if you want to find Whichford, key postcode CV36 into a Google map.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would love to be in your village Saturday next and do some of my holiday shopping! It sounds a treat.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived closer to come see and to support the windows for this church.
    I even looked up the church !
    Sighing from the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you, spend a lot of time planning before executing, and then not always executing. I like the note catchers made of paper bags, excellent idea. May try to do the same with a series of lovely large envelopes I have, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete