Saturday, 24 September 2011

Mixed Media Journaling


It's a while since I posted any of my journaling. None of the pages in my sketchbooks or journals were quite finished. I would paint or paste and leave the book open to dry, and then work would intrude and I would necessarily move in to something else. The two pages here were begun on a summer get-away when I had the time to indulge myself in word whispers and mixed media - in the caravan.


We spent a morning at Richard's Castle just outside Ludlow. Not the modern village but the fortified Norman castle and adjacent (much later) abandoned church and graveyard. The castle ruins spooked me, which is unusual as I am captivated by the medieval period of history, but the stony and steep path up to the churchyard inspired the herbal word-whispers shown on the two pages. I used napkins as the basis of the pages, adding the words after the acrylic wax I use as an adhesive had dried, and then only a few days ago, added the watercolour sketches and a watercolour wash over the words - which has to a certain extent obscured the writing. Best to double-click the images if you feel like to reading them.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these pages. The napkins create a lovely feel and complement your own art work beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm.. I can smell the honeysuckle and see the delightful colours of the early summer flowers. Two delightful spreads.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous art and accompanying words. Your journals definitely inspire creativity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    Love your journals! I also visited your "book" blog and found your post about maps. Like you, I adore old maps and can't help but to collect them. Thanks for the comment on my blog too.
    Susan
    PS Even though I'm in South Carolina, I do visit England quite regularly as my elder son is a soloist with Birmingham Royal Ballet. The graveyards and medieval ruins are always something I love to explore.

    ReplyDelete