Friday, 24 September 2010

On the move

two pages from my 'travel spill' journal

Dear Reader, first I must explain my journaling blog for those who may be mystified at my hopping from one project to another, or appearing to do so. Looking back, I find I tend to post the start of a project and then maybe a stage or stages during its progress. This does not mean I never finish anything; usually what I am doing is connected to some travel article or garden magazine feature, or just pure playing. And I also tend to post my experimental work and explanations of the processes involved. If I didn't, I would never remember what I had done when I return to complete what may have been begun weeks or even months before.

Or I run out of time blog about what I am working on. Right now, I have time to spare (magic) and am sitting on the Malvern Showground ahead of the opening tomorrow. I have my mini-studio set up in the motorhome cab. I have pruned my required supplies down to the minimum but find it is essential to prep papers or fabric in advance of coming away. I cannot slather acrylic inks or paints in so tiny a space; well it's not actually the space but the fear of getting paint on the upholstery!

I have two forms of travel journal now: one is planned and structured and has to be finished at home for we do not always take the printer away with us; it depends where we are going and the nature of the journey. The other - my travel spilling journal - is a hotch-potch of play-as-you-go pages. If they go wrong, it doesn't matter. I have just posted a pic on my wild child blog of the page prepared last night before coming away - it's at the end of the Back to Malvern post and is in autumnal colours to suit the seasonal nature of the 'Celebration of Nature's Harvest', which is why we are here.

The photo above on this blog started as a colour slathering and was completed exactly a week ago when we were down in Dorset. I think if you double-click on the picture, you can see it full-size. I always bemoan the fact that when I am away, I never manage to work on a travel diary, but this way - travel spilling - works so well; it only takes a relatively short amount of time; and the travel-journal-proper awaits the planned layout and photos on our return. I have to say that the idea for journal-spilling is not mine; I was given a brilliant book by Diana Trout on the subject by my dear friend, Kristin Steiner. Her gift has unlocked my fear of playing; previously, my travel diaries were all words and occasionally a few poor sketches.

More travel-spill pages to follow but my laptop needs charging ....


2 comments:

  1. Your pages make me think of beautiful batik fabrics--I've never "played" with paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MM - neither had I until recently; it's very therapeutic and you can prepare papers or pages in odd moments, leave them to dry (the acrylic inks used here dry instantly, too fast in fact) and then journal on them when the muse strikes. Thanks for your comment. A.

    ReplyDelete