Sunday, 13 June 2010

Irish Rhapsody: work in progress

the drawing office where plans for the Titanic were created - the room is now all but derelict and has been out of use for 22 years (it is not open to the public)

I mentioned in my last post that I was prepping loose-leaf pages to facilitate the creation of travel journeys 'on-the-go'. Mine were all ready for our departure to Ireland last Saturday - 300gsm watercolour paper dyed, splattered and edged with summery flowers on napkins. I did not have the time to scan or photograph the pages but had already started to stitch around the maps I was going to use (the first map was shown in my 'Wild Somerset Child' blog of last week. Since then, I have stitched around the other maps I intend to use at every opportunity, but our journalist press trip to Ireland has been non-stop for seven days, from 8.30 until 11.00 or so at night.

peeling paint in the room above will make a good page background for a fabric book

I have had time to word-paint on the coach (by word-paint, I mean record my thoughts and observations in blank verse) and some of these have been hand-written onto scraps of paper, and stitched around already. Assembly will have to come when we are back home. I have changed my idea of the nature of the Irish journal, not so much a diary, more an illustrated thought journal of episodes and places that inspired me to word-paint - work notes are needed for commissioned magazine features, and my Irish Rhapsody paper/fabric creation is pure pleasure. 


ditto

As my husband was taking all the photos needed for my articles, I concentrated on textures, colours and shapes, not just to appear in the journal but as page backgrounds transferred onto fabric for other word-books. A place that captured my imagination only yesterday was at the former Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast where the tragic Titanic was built and launched. We were privileged to be shown into the drawing office where the ship was designed in the early 1900s - the room itself has not been used for 22 years and all is musty and decaying. 

and so will this

I just loved the poignancy of these peeling walls and spent time recording these, and taking photos of old postcards that will also go into my journal. I think this idea of decay and regeneration (the shipyard is to house a new visitor centre) is one that I could use for other projects. So I have all my word-painting ready for text panels, I have my pages prepped and photos are also taken and sized. Now everything needs assembling ....

what began in the drawing office above, sadly ended at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean

1 comment:

  1. Your creativity and expertise in various mediums continues to interest me. Perhaps I have been timid about "new" projects. But then, perhaps I should finish the ones I have begun.
    Right now the garden demands all my stamina and then some.

    ReplyDelete