Monday, 12 October 2009

Progress - of a sort


Nothing seems to be going right today; one thing after another, when I had hoped to spend the whole time stitching my grand-daughter's fabric keepsake. Since I first mentioned this (in my post of 24th September 'Experimental Mode'), I have hand-stitched four pages - two 'spreads', but found it so tough; I could hardly hold a needle for the nobbly and painful arthritis affecting my hands; I can't believe it is almost ten years since I did much hand-work, when it was easy to work with needle and thread. The pics shown above and below are poor but show stages two and three: hand-stitching around the patchwork pieces, with corner beads attached at the corners of each, and then the super-imposition of the first embellishments. Click on either pic to enlarge it, and then click your back button to return to my blog and the rest of the post.


More stitching is now needed, but I will have to resort to free machine embroidery for all the other pages. There are to be ten five double-sided spreads, so twenty 6in x 6in (15cm x 15cm) in all, and all have to be edged as well. Most now at least laid out; but the week ahead is more than usually hectic and I have so few days left. Panic - well, I always do, but at least this is one project that will NOT be stuffed into a project bag!

7 comments:

  1. this is a lovely gift for your granddaughter. sorry you are afflicted with arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely keepsake it will be for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's turning out very nice and I know she will love it. I know about arthur too. He visits me now and then in my elbow and knee. Watch the nightshade (tomatoes, eggplants etc.) veggies, those are not good for arthritis sufferers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color choices.. you do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be such a lovely, special book and a family heirloom no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea this is! Had a look at your September post 'Experimental Mode' launching your granddaughter's fabric keepsake, and I love the creative thinking that is going into it. I'm sure she will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a beautiful keepsake - she will love it!!!
    My husband has RA, I will have to look into Yvonne's comment about tomatoes and eggplants - which we eat alot of!!!

    ReplyDelete