Monday, 9 March 2009

Little Journals - progress


My life is one continual juggling act; a jigsaw of so many things - sometimes everything runs smoothly, oftentimes it does not. I am trying right now to organise a different structure to this blog - to see if I can post between photos which should make what I want to say easier to follow. If it works, it is thanks to two kind fellow-bloggers who have told me how to do this.

So this latest life-jigsaw did not quite slot together as I had planned: I wrote last post of the serendipity moment when it was suggested I made some sample hand-made journals. My notes showed progress as of the end of February, but I had no pics taken. If you can think back that far, you will recall I had determined the structure, and that the booklets would comprise hand-painted papers and paper-bags (using my credit-card technique with acrylic paint) plus napkin embellishments, and then I decided to add coordinating scrapbook papers. The photo above shows the papers and napkins assembled for the first booklet.



So far so good; I spent three days experimenting - and though the samples are not yet finished, I have six (each of eighteen sides, measuring 6" x 6") now ready for embellishments and covers, and am posting progress before another long gap whilst work intervenes, lest readers should think I only write about what I never finish! The above photo shows the pages for the first booklets with napkins chosen for embellishments, and a print of the cover photo and title. This booklet title is 'Vegetable Heaven'. Next I made a collage of dictionary pages, which I scanned - be warned, ensure the glue is fully dry before scanning; mine stuck to the scanner glass! - and then manipulated in Photoshop to select a small panel that will be stitched to the booklet's fabric back-cover, once I have transferred it to fabric. Why dictionary pages? Because journals are about words as much as visual images. See photo below of the little word panel which will measure 3" x 3". It will be printed on Epson Cool Peel and ironed onto lawn or muslin, as will the front-cover picture and title panels. 


Each of my three intensive art-play days ended with my usual note-making - four pages are shown below, in pairs, which follow on from my last posting which showed the first pair. Without my notes I cannot remember what I planned to do. Any of the pics, or scans of my notes, can be seen in more detail by double-clicking on the image. Thankyou to Pat-aka-Posh and Sukipoet for helping me with instructions for posting words mixed with photos. I am so very grateful. You can see it worked.



I will post further progress as it transpires; I have a backlog of writing for the rest of the week, and another exhibition to attend, but at least I started this morning by painting the final inside pages for the sixth book.

9 comments:

  1. I think your work so far is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking these very much!! I'm no good with Photoshop, so I have to do everything by hand. Yours looks so very professional. And you mastered words between pictures on your blog wonderfully. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be so nice when its finished. Don't forget to share the pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I already want to buy one! Look s beautiful. and your blog pages look great too. One ? So will your booklets be ones the purchaser can write in? Or are you making booklets already filled with writings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for such kind comments (and Suki, you are the dearest lady; no-one has ever wanted to BUY my creative work!) And yes, there are pages for the purchaser to write on, sandwiched between the painted and embellished pages, which will also have tiny areas of space to add small photos, a tag or stamp etc. The 'blank' pages are the ones in the lower photo that appear to have writing on them - that is just a stamped border around each page to 'frame' them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing great, and don't you love the adventure? Learning new stuff. always a challenge. I don't know if I would be this determined, but when I've stuck with it in the past there's a great feeling of exuberance. Tell yourself, if it were easy, everyone would do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am enjoying following your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took me a while to figure out what you were doing...handmade journals for other people to add to, yes?
    they look great. btw, i now lay a transparency down on my scanner bed to keep the glass free of gunk and scratches cuz, yeah, it's easy to forget ... looking forward to seeing the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure I am having alongside your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete