Thursday, 26 February 2009

Serendipity moments



Time for art has been in short supply this last week, though there have been a couple of serendipity moments which I would love to share. First, at the craft exhibition last week, I made contact with a couple of magazine editors and have arranged to send photographs of some of my journals, and make up a 'sampler' showing some of the techniques I love doing. That exercised my mind for I first analysed the actual magazines and then made notes on what would best showcase my work. Interesting how the gardening magazines I write for often commission something which is loosely craft/art based but inspired by gardens. With the samples will go a little booklet of themed topics I can cover.

That interrupted the flow of ideas I was also working on to use the 'antique' wallpaper I illustrated last week, discovered in the 'wood-mountain' - see my other blog. I had just torn out some lovely magazine pages to frame one or other of the paper panels and then discovered some artificial sprays of twigs and berries in our local garden store; the pink and dusky apricot colours complemented the japanese feel of the paper. On the search for golden forsythia, I discovered some wonderful sprays in a gift shop on our nearest town. A shop I love for they sell 'Shaker' style artifacts and punched metal hearts. When I explained that I did not want the artificial forsythia to decorate artwork and the little journals I make, the young assistant suggested I brought in some samples to show the owner, as they would like to sell them!

I was flabbergasted and to cover myself (for I have no completed samples), I explained that I would make some up as I usually spent the time working on samples to write about step-by-step technique. "Don't miss this possibility," I said to myself, wondering when I would ever have time to make complete little books as samples, and if the owner likes them, to make sufficient to sell. Back home, I set about what I had sworn I would not do again - make copious notes and leave it at that. (And I still have to progress FOUR visual journaling pages that are begun but lingering.) Whatever I decide to trial has to be simple but attractive, and capable of batch construction. This was true serendipity: not something planned and nothing may come of it. Can I do this? Until I try, I will never know.

My pics above show the artificial twigs sourced from two separate venues, which I bound into a bouquet, the notes I made click on the image so you can actually read what I wrote), and a little reminder to myself from the dictionary that this moment would spur me to FINISH something. Maybe I would incorporate another of my recycling finds - again see my other blog, which also details how I purchased a tripod yesterday so I could photograph the stages in non-blur mode. I had planned an art afternoon today, but after a sleepless night (why?) and a morning when I even managed to crash my laptop email program - office machine still not fixed), I developed some sort of lurgi and succumbed to sitting by the fire lap-tapping away to record these moments. Guess I have caught something at the three over-heated exhibition halls; absolutely maddening for I have so much to do! It is certainly not the winter blues or I would have stayed in bed!

9 comments:

  1. i haven't read all of this yet, but that page is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my.. sounds like your life is as busy as mine.. congrats on the offers to sell your work.. take your time and enjoy making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking at your notes in your note book...facinating..the yarn is all ready for you will post at the weekend...lovely to make a new friend...love and hugs H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your feeling better soon and it always seems to happen at the busiest times!
    Good luck with your journals,I enjoyed reading your note page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! How exciting for you! (The serendipidous part, not the icky-feeling part) You are so busy, and yet you keep up with two blogs! I can barely find time to keep mine current. I hope these leads turn into something wonderful for you. And I am piqued at your mention of Shaker items. My in-laws were of Shaker origin and had lots of connections when they were alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann, Thanks for leaving me a comment. Yes I am aware of the Goodwood Farm Shop, but have yet to make a visit. Its only about a 10 minute car ride away, perhaps its because we have a farm shop 2 minutes up the road.
    Yes I would also draw the line at a visiting Rat, although I do love these creatures aswell.We do have a pet one called Leyland though, they make fantastic pets.
    I am gradually making my way through your posts and I am enjoying them very much. Its been nice talking to you. Until next time. Warm wishes. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have had lots of creative stimulation. Your little bouquet is so sweet. I spent a few years making and selling handbound books. some books had monoprints for covers. Some books used twigs and other natural items on the spines or as embellishments. i even got a commission from a woman wanting little notebooks for a workshop! I dont do it anymore but it was fun. Oh, I also took things round to shops and a few really liked them and took them. Good luck with this.!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Ann and lovely to read your thoughts and process in the notebook! Lots to do and look forward to seeing the finished books! Good luck with it all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ann, nice to meet you, I see we share a love of handmade books.Your notes page is a little gem.

    ReplyDelete